You’re listening to this podcast, and you’re thinking: I could do that. I want to do that. How can I do that?
Well, if you have a big idea for a great show, come join me for my first ever "Podcasting 101" workshop at Taconic Ridge Farm as part of the second annual Workshop Experience Weekend, organized by the Hillsdale Workshop Alliance. That’s right, on Saturday May 7, 2022 from 1-3:30pm I’m hosting a workshop about turning your germ of a podcast idea into a compelling concept and start to plan its development and launch.
The Workshop Experience
It’s part of a big weekend of workshops Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8 (Mother's Day) across Hillsdale, NY—an adorable town in Columbia County, about 15 minutes west of Great Barrington, MA and about 15 minutes east of Hudson, NY and 40 minutes from Rhinebeck.
There are more than 35 workshops, classes and open gardens that you and your friends could sign up for, including Nocturnal Bird Migration, Rising Chickens in Your Backyard, Yoga for Everybody, and Flower Arranging—and hey, it's Mother's Day weekend; do one with mom!
Find out information on my workshop and the others at the Workshop Experience site. Choose "Schedule" to see what is when and buy tickets. Mine is Saturday at 1 p.m. There’s a fee and limited spots, but will make it worthwhile with lots of ideas, feedback, and resources to take home with you. Plus a few gifts.
Hillsdale is closer than you think
Whether you're local and coming for a few hours or decide this is a good excuse to do a Hudson Valley weekend, I recommend the trip by car or train. Here are some distances and estimated car drive time from top Cidiot listener towns (yes, I read my analytics!) to Hillsdale, NY:
- Albany, NY: 47 mi., 48 min.
- Amenia, NY: 25 mi., 30 min.
- Armonk, NY: 81 mi., 1hr 35 min.
- Beacon, NY: 65 mi., 1hr 15 min.
- Canaan, CT: 23 mi., 35 min.
- Catskill, NY: 24 mi., 30 min.
- Chatham, NY: 18 mi. 22 min.
- Clinton Corners, NY: 34 mi., 35 min.
- Great Barrington, MA: 10 mi., 15 min.
- Hudson, NY: 16.4 mi., 18 min.
- Kingston, NY: 43 mi., 50 min.
- Jersey City, NJ: 126 mi., 2hr 25 min.
- Lenox, MA: 23 mi., 33 min.
- Middletown, NY: 95 mi., 1hr 40 min.
- Millbrook, NY: 36 mi., 45 min.
- Millerton, NY: 17 mi., 20 min.
- New Paltz, NY: 60 mi., 1hr 5 min.
- New York City (The Bronx): 112 mi., 1hr 53 min.
- New York City (Brooklyn): 130 mi., 2h 30 min.
- Pine Plains, NY: 20 mi., 27 min.
- Poughkeepsie, NY: 47 mi., 55 min.
- Red Hook, NY: 31 mi., 38 min.
- Rhinebeck, NY: 35 mi., 43 min.
- Salisbury, CT: 20 mi., 28 min.
- Stanfordville, NY: 28 mi., 35 min.
- Springfield, NJ: 150 mi., 2hr 20 min.
- West Stockbridge, MA: 19 mi., 23 min.
Travel tip: Closest train lines to Hillsdale are Amtrak (Hudson, NY - 20 min. away) and MetroNorth (Wassail - 40 min. away). Traveling for the weekend? Contact us if you need any suggestions for where to stay.
Where to stay: I started this guide to hotels, motels, B&Bs and short-term rentals across the region plus there are links to more robust directories.
UPDATE: The Cidiot 101 Podcast Workshop was a big hit and thanks to everyone who came. Can't wait to hear/see/feel your new shows. Trixie's List covered it as well with this post.